Thursday, November 20

The Traveling Crafter: Charlotte, NC

Last weekend I was down in Charlotte, NC visiting my sister and her family. We had a great time hanging out, talking and not doing anything else. It was a great weekend. One thing I love to do when I am in new cities is to check out one or two quilt shops. They are never the same and they never have exactly the same fabric. I love walking through them and looking at all the fabric, I have been to dozens of shops and quilt market many times but every time I walk into a new quilt store I see some new fabrics that I have never seen before. I might only buy a fat quarter or, like this past weekend, I might buy 15 yards of fabric.
This past weekend outside of Charlotte we stopped at Mary Jo's Cloth Shop in Gastonia, NC. This is a HUGE store filled with any type of fabric you could imagine. Half the store is regular weight cotton fabrics for quilting and crafting. Another area of the store is all heavyweight and upholstery weight fabrics. There is also a huge section for just trims, ric rac and ribbon and anything else you could want.
The possibilities are endless and I think I spent the first half hour just walking around and looking at everything. The fabric was broken down into sections in some areas, batiks, polka dots, stripes, animals, and tons of other categories. It was a lot of fun just looking at everything and touching everything, then I came back to reality and noticed that my sister and her 8 and 9 year old kids were getting a little bored.
So I had to get a mission in my mind so I could concentrate on picking a few things out of the massive selection of fabrics. I concentrated on picking out a few fabrics that I could make some purses with for Bazaar Bizarre. The show is getting closer and closer. So I picked out a few fabrics and got a few remnant pieces as well and headed for check out. It was an amazing store and I had a great time walking the aisles. If you are ever in that area of the country you should make it your first stop. Where are your favorite quilt shops?

1 comments:

KC and Raina said...

Ok I am back. I confess I have not been keeping up with the blog :( First things first, I really really really wish i could come to the Bizarre Bazar or however you spell it. Also, we spent entirely too much time with you guys this summer because now we are in withdraw. :) I am going to go pick out my christmas list off of your site now!