Thursday, November 13

Obsession Confession: Fat Quarters

I have a confession to make... I am obsessed with fat quarters. I can't stop buying them, every time I walk into a quilt store. They are usually organized by color all by themselves on a shelf folded neatly in a row. They are addictive, I can never have enough and there are endless amounts of projects that can be made with just one fat quarter or a combination of a few.


So, what is a fat quarter? A fat quarter is a quarter yard piece of fabric approximately 18" x 22". A normal quarter yard cut from the bolt at a fabric store would be 44" x 9", a long skinny piece. The fat quarter is a half yard of fabric cut in half so you have a more versatile piece of fabric for a variety of projects. This picture shows the difference between a regular "skinny" quarter yard (at the bottom) of fabric and the top picture shows a fat quarter and a fat eighth.


I have a few fat quarters of my own in my studio at home...I counted them before I wrote this post and I have about 370 fat quarters. This may seem like a lot to some people but I bet there are people out there with many more (I doubt my mom could even put a number to her stash). These are my fat quarter shelves:


Along with the obsession with fat quarters comes the obsession with fat quarter bundles. These are sets of fat quarters in coordinating colors or a line of fabric from a specific designer. I have a few of these in my collection as well. The only problem with these bundles is that I never want to use them, they are just too pretty to break up. I just can't get myself to cut those strings and cut into those wonderfully coordinated bundles. I got the large Moda bundle last year at the sample spree at Quilt Market and it hasn't been broken up yet, maybe someday...ok, probably not.

So I have confessed, I love fat quarters and I can't get enough of them. I don't think this will change any time soon and I'm ok with that. There are more hidden confessions in my life that will come out sooner or later, keep in touch to hear about the rest of them and please feel free to share your own.

0 comments: